Water Environment Consultant
Our Water Services team in Glasgow is recruiting for an Environmental Consultant with experience in EIA; CAR licencing; and water quality monitoring and assessment. Due to a committed workload across a number of sectors, there is an opportunity for growth in the team and career development. We are looking for a consultant with around 5 years of experience who is either CIWEM or CEnv qualified, or working towards chartered status. Both full time and part time roles will be considered.
Fairhurst’s Water Services team in Glasgow comprises 22 staff. The team is divided into sub-services as follows:
- Development: providing assessment and design services in the areas of drainage, SUDs, water supply, and infrastructure adoption;
- Water and watercourse engineering: providing assessment, design and inspection services relating to flood risk management, hydrology, river modelling, watercourse structures and dams/reservoirs; and
- Water environment: providing water quality monitoring, EIA, geomorphology and other environmental advice linked to the team’s core services as well as supporting clients with direct consenting services under CAR and planning.
While line management is aligned to these sub-services, many of our staff have transferable skills across the capabilities of the Water Services team. The Team Strategy and the Line Management Plan define an opportunity for development and growth of the water environment sub-service.
Recruitment of an experienced environmental consultant would support this opportunity, assist in developing capabilities, broaden the services, and provide technical advice to the wider team and business.
It will be necessary to fit within the existing line management structure and achieve early utilisation targets largely within existing projects. Initially the tasks would comprise:
- Support for planning, EIA and EIA Report preparation
- Water environment assessments and mitigation associated with major linear projects
- Environmental advice and site supervision on existing projects
- CAR licencing for engineering and drainage projects
- CAR licencing for construction sites under new SEPA regime
- Water quality monitoring on site, and office analysis
Following establishment within the business, the role will be expected to evolve quickly through business development (both externally and with other internal teams). It is anticipated emerging tasks will include:
- Environmental supervision (EnvCoW) during intrusive investigation and construction works
- Support for Fairhurst and clients in responsibilities arising from existing and emerging environmental regulation/licencing requirements
- Development of broader ECoW / EnvCoW services
- Support in developing integrated catchment planning capabilities
- Developing watercourse restoration capabilities
- Reservoir and dam operations / decommissioning environmental support
We would expect the role to include defining and developing other complementary opportunities. Support will be provided through senior staff within the team, Technical Directors, and the responsible Partner.
Qualifications / Experience
The key attributes of the role should include:
- A relevant degree with environmental or geo-environmental content
- Around 5 years of post-graduate experience.
- Knowledge of legislation, regulation, procedure and guidance relating to the water environment and development.
- Able to support EIA, consenting and construction environmental best practice.
- Provide support for the environmental aspects of the Water Services team’s core activities.
- Be a chartered member of CIWEM, or be CEnv, or actively working towards chartership.
- Support the development of staff and delivery of the Team Strategy.
- Experience in working directly with clients.
- Report writing and review skills.
- Good communication and team working skills
Please send your CV or a message marked for the attention of Simon Shillington to referring to this position.